Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Letter J

You would think Joshua would be all over this letter, seeing as he was jealous when we learned the letter A because Abigail starts with A and Joshua does not. Nope. Here is how it went:

"Hey, Joshua. We're learning the letter J now. Let's practice by writing your name because "Joshua" starts with J!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOO"

And then I decided I would at least have him write down a few Js. That only kind of worked.
If it looks like I wrote some of those, it's because I did.

OK, how about we get into those old magazines and you guys can find Js, cut them out and glue them on some paper?! That was fun last time we did it, right?  Apparently not as fun as just cutting the magazines up into tiny little pieces, throwing them all over the floor, and laughing at mom when she tells you you'll have to clean up the entire mess when you're done. (Lest you think my home-school "preschool" is always successful, cheerful, educational, here is the proof.







So what do you do with the letter J. In German, there isn't much. J is German sounds like a Y. And there aren't many J words I could think of. So we cheated. First we made Jam - well, I made Jam with my mother-in-law. The kids have to learn English too, right? Jam starts with J. But Joshua didn't want to eat the J Jam because, he said, he wasn't finished with the store bought jam in the fridge. Here are 23 jars of our 26 jars of freezer jam.


OK, lets cheat again. Jubeln starts with J. It means "to cheer." So what can we do with that? How about I make home mad granola bars with the kids, but I tell them they are called Jubelbars because they will be so tasty that each time we want to eat them, we will just cheer and shout for joy. Hurrah! A Jubelbar!
cranberry almond Jubelbars

next time I think I will make a peanut butter variety. so yummy.

Yes, they are delicious - and there is no wheat and no refined sugar in them to boot. But Joshua refused to acknowledge that Jubelbar starts with a J. Oh well. Goodbye J. Tomorrow starts another week and another letter - K - which will be so much easier, provided my students cooperate.
Hurrah!!

4 comments:

  1. those granola bars look good. will you send me the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto on the granola bars. Yummy! I'm glad you had a good time at the farm! It looks like fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. J ist total schwer--- Jesus, Jellybean und Jaguar sind unsere Bilder. Gute idee mit Kneteteig Buchstaben!! cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I am SO doing Jaguar next year.

    ReplyDelete