Friday, May 27, 2011

Jubelbars


This is the original recipe I found but in parenthesis I've written what I actually use as a substitute.

Granola Bars

2 C oats
3/4 C wheat germ (or ground flax seed, sometimes both)
3/4 C sunflower seeds
1/2 C honey
3/4 C brown sugar (or 1/2 C real Maple Syrup)
1 C crushed nuts
4 Tbsp butter (or nut butter of any variety)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
8 oz (about) any dried fruit

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix nuts, oats, seeds and wheat germ. Toast about 10-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes to keep from burning. Meanwhile, line 11x13 baking dish with wax paper and grease lightly (cooking spray, etc.) Simmer honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt in a sauce pan (this is just to get the brown sugar to dissolve, but since I use maple syrup and peanut or almond butter, I just heat it until the nut butter is runny and call it good). Mix everything in a large bowl (or the sauce pan) and add the dried fruit. Mix very very well so as to get the "glue" on everything. Put mixture in prepared baking dish (and don't forget to taste it because it's really good). Cover with greased wax paper and press down really hard.  After a few hours (when it's completely cool) remove top layer of wax paper, flip it over on a cutting board, remove bottom wax paper layer and cut into bars by pressing down hard, not by slicing. Wrap individually or keep in an air tight container. They should last about a week. I wrap mine up and stick them in the freezer and then take one out when I want to eat one. They don't take too long to thaw. WARNING: although these are healthy, they are probably much healthier in moderation - I wouldn't exactly call them a diet bar. But hey, they're so good, whenever I eat one, I shout for joy. Jubel!!

so far I've used almonds, almond butter, and craisins to make Almond Cranberry Jubels
I've used peanut butter, almonds, cashews, pecans, dried apricots, raisins, craisins, and sesame seeds just for fun to make Triple Fruit and Nut Jubels
And I've used 3 C oats, 1/2 C cashews, raisins, dried apples from the cannery, and lots of cinnamon to make Cinnamon Oatmeal Apple Raisin Jubels. I probably could come up with better names for my flavors - honestly, besides the cinnamon, they all kind of tasted the same, which is fine, because they're tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment