Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Farm: Sheep


Living amongst farms gives us good opportunities to talk about farms whenever we go somewhere. So besides the activities below, we did a good deal of talking about not only sheep, but farms in general and what they do, why we have them, and how much work they are!

Sheep was easier and for some reason more fun than pigs and cows. Perhaps because I had better books. We checked out the Sheep Story Kit, and although it didn't have any fun crafts or games, etc., the books were fun. Here are our favorite from the kit and another I checked out.
Farmer Brown shears his Sheep is illustrated by my new favorite illustrator (sample illustration below - check out the rosy cheeks) Where is the Green Sheep turned out to be really good too. It's not boring, like the title suggested to me. I highly recommend them both.


Here is our sheep craft. This was actually the first craft we did in this unit. I drew some sheep on the page and the kids got to glue on the "wool" and googly eyes. I thought it was fun.


We've been watching a lot of "Snow White" lately.

And I suppose the last thing we did just in particular to sheep was the Sheep and Wool Festival at Thanksgiving Point. Here are some pictures of the sheep shearing and a few at the end of the sheep dog demonstrations.  The kids also got to make sheep wool bracelets.
I told the kids that man was Farmer Brown.

This photo may not make sense. The sheep's head is between the farmer's knees. The sheep is sitting on her bum and we're looking at her belly.


This is the sheep dog demonstration.

You can tell the kids were fascinated.


No comments:

Post a Comment