Thursday, August 25, 2011

Almost ready for a schedule

It has been nice to not do preschool during the summer, but I think we are all ready to jump back in.  Here are my ideas for the rest of the year, of course only very loosely planned out. I need a little help for September. I don't want to do a "back to school" theme but that is the only September theme I can think of. I thought about doing something with apples. Maybe we still will. But for now all I've got is a bunch of alphabet catch up since we slacked for the last few months.  Anyway, feel free to make comments or suggestions or if you have any fun ideas/crafts/treats/books that would fit with my plans. We'll see if I can finish out the year strong!!

September - Apples - homemade apple cider, applesauce, other yummy apple things. Visit an apple orchard maybe, talk about fruit trees, etc.  A few cute apple crafts.
Letters - week 1 M and N, week 2 O, week 3 P, week 4 Q and R.

October - Scarecrows and Pumpkins. visiting the Big Red Barn (for their pumpkin patch, but they also have an apple orchard so I might go there in September for the apples and then pick another patch to visit for October. Not decided yet) learning harvest hymns, making scarecrows, reading a children's version of sleepy hollow - or watching it. Halloween, of course. My kids have chosen to dress up as a Utahraptor and a pig. Letters S and T

November - Pilgrims and geography. I haven't yet ever really introduced maps, etc. so I thought this would be a good time. Maybe make some pilgrim costumes. we will learn some gratitude hymns and learn in the scriptures about Christopher Columbus (I know he was not a pilgrim, but it still fits) and scriptures related to America. we can make some boats (Mayflower). Letters U and V

December - Astronomy (mostly Stars) and Christmas. I think stars would fit with Christmas pretty easily. Christmas hymns, of course.  Also "I am like a star, shining brightly"  constellation dot-to-dots, glow in the dark stars above their beds and rewards, and a lot of star gazing (we live in the perfect spot to see a gazillion stars every night! Letters - week 1 W, after Christmas we'll zip through X, Y, and Z. With X we can do treasure hunts.

And that's what I've got. Last year we didn't do anything for September because we were busy packing, moving, and unpacking. October we were settling in and had a vacation, November we exhausted the Turkey theme, and December was so busy we just "worked" on Christmas the entire time. I'm excited to get back. I feel almost ready to start working again. I think now it's just a matter of laziness. If I can get planned and get going, everything is going to go great.

1 comment:

  1. Have you already done trees? September might be fun for trees. You can drive the Alpine Loop or go on a hike or something and see the changing colors, different types of trees, identify trees by the cone or shape of the leaf. I don't know. Maybe October would be better for that. I can't remember when the leaves start to change in Utah.

    ReplyDelete