Saturday, August 20, 2011

2 fun days

Yes, all we do is have fun. We never work. We never have tantrums. We never fight. Ever. And we never have down time. Wouldn't life be great (exhausting) if it really was exactly as it looked on our blogs.

But the last two days we actually have only been having fun. Here are the highlights of what we did.

Bridal Veil Falls 
It seems like this is a tradition, to take the kids to the waterfall once a year. It's not that far away but does require a special trip to get there. When Joshua was 1 we went with Grammy. When Abigail was 1 we went with Michelle. And this year (Lukas is still just 6 months) we went with Charlotte and her two boys (YEA! I'm so glad your back, Charlotte!). I was having too much fun talking to my friend that I didn't really "play" in the water that much. Plus it was freezing.





After playing in the water with our friends we had a picnic in the grassy park area. The kids gravitated towards the dirt and somehow while I was totally absorbed in the fascinating adult conversation, I missed seeing the dirt actually hit Abigail's face. I know, I'm awful, but I made her stand there until I could get a photo of it. She survived.


Spanish Fork Swimming Pool
I love this pool. And I always forget how much I love it until I finally take my kids there at the end of the summer and we all have a fabulous time and I start kicking myself for not bringing them here sooner. *sigh*. Next year I suppose. The pool is already on it's "Fall" schedule - which means we won't be back until next summer.





Ideas for "pre-school" during next summer: Spend the ENTIRE summer learning about water with different books, experiments. Freezing water, hot water, evaporating water, etc. Just everything you can find. And every time you go somewhere that involves water, spend 2 or so random minutes reviewing the things you've been learning and maybe learn a few more things (like why there is chlorine the pool, why the waterfall water is so cold, why the ocean water is salty but the lake water is not, what a reservoir is used for, etc.)  I had this idea at the beginning of the summer, but in a way, it was a really hard summer and I had to take a break so we'll just do it next summer. It would have, however, been awesome, because here is a list of all our water activities we did anyway.
The hose in the yard
The splash pad fountain is SF
Sun Lakes in WA
The San Juans in WA (It's not the Puget Sound, it's not the strait of Juan de Fuca, although we saw the strait, and it's not the ocean, so what is it called?)
Pineview Reservior
SF Swimming Pool
Bridal Veil Falls
Mapleton Creek hike
The Grand Coulee Dam and the Columbia River
perhaps more I can't remember.

I feel like I missed a good opportunity, but we can always do it again next year.

1 comment: