Saturday, April 23, 2011

Soups

Derek got a BlendTek for his birthday. Since they cost an arm and a leg, we've decided to get our money's worth out of it by using it multiple times a day. Usually 3 times, sometimes 4. Derek is about to use it actually right now as I type. Then I might go use it again just for fun.  You may have heard of BlendTek from the U-Tube videos, "Will it Blend?"  I've never seen the videos on U-Tube, just on our BlendTek user guide DVD, which we actually just watched today for the first time.

Anyway, so I've been making soups. Some better than others. Some more photogenic than others. My first soup was roasted butternut squash and shallot soup. No photo. Way super delicious - probably because I'd never used fresh ginger before and I probably put in twice as much as was called for. I didn't even know I liked ginger.

Soup number two was a carrot soup. Somewhat bland compared to the Ginger soup, er, I mean Butternut Squash/Shallot soup. But still tasty.
Please excuse the less than appetizing photo

Soup number three was a tomato soup. Definitely took some getting used to. The tomato soup tastes like tomatoes. For some reason, that really threw me off. Campbell's tomato soup tastes like salt. That was what I was expecting. Nope. No salt in this soup. Mostly just tomatoes. I added soup chopped avocado (because everything tastes better with avocado, it's fancy) and that helped. The more I ate of this soup, the more I liked it. I might make it again next week.
that is an unattractive soup!

Soup number four is a Cheezy Broccoli Soup. Take a look at these photos and tell me, how much fat and how many calories you think are in this soup?


I have no idea how much fat and how many calories I ate that night - although I do know I ate maybe 3 servings of soup. But I do know that however much you guessed, you were most likely much too high. There is no cheese in this soup. The "cheese" sauce is actually just carrots, potatoes, onion, some cashews, salt, and nutritional yeast. Say hello to BlendTek, throw in the broccoli, and you've got a Cheezy Broccoli Soup that, although very filling (ok, maybe it was the three bowlfulls) is not very fattening. It's actually good for you.

Next up - Tortilla Soup. (Saw the recipe on the BlendTek user DVD)
Recipes to whoever wants them.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! This BlendTec thing looks similar to a VitaMix (same kind of ultra-super-powered blender - I call it my "blender on steroids" and I use it for EVERYTHING). Anyway, I love that cheese-less broccoli soup. I have a recipe for a cauliflower soup that is DELICIOUS. And I never knew how much I liked cauliflower before it.

    My grandma and grandpa have a family tradition of gifting all of their grandkids a VitaMix for their wedding. When we get married, we know we are getting a VitaMix. It's probably the reason we all get married. Ha ha, just kidding.

    For real, I'm going to call you. In fact, maybe I'll call you right now.

    ReplyDelete