Saturday, April 23, 2011

H and Easter

H and Easter naturally go together, if you didn't know, because rabbit in German starts with an H. First we made Hase Huete.


Then we learned an Easter bunny poem:

Osterhaeschen dort im Grase
Wackelschwaenzchen, Schnuppernase
Mit den langen braunen Ohren
Hast ein Osterei verloren!
Zwischen Blumen seh ich's liegen.
Osterhaeschen, darf ich's kriegen?

Translation: Easter bunny in the grass, wiggling tail and wiggling nose, with the long brown ears, you lost an Easter egg! I see it lying between the flowers. Easter bunny, may I get it? (obviously much more poetic in the original language.)

We read a couple of Hase (rabbit) books. Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, The Flopsy Bunnies, and A Fierce Bad Rabbit.

Hmmmm... what else. We made a Henne snack. Or more like a Peep. This is  not an original idea. I was reminded of it online and decided we would make it. I happened to have a few peeps that someone had given us and we hadn't eaten and we already had the robin's eggs.



We colored eggs.



And we had an Easter Egg Hunt. I told the kids I was going to give the Easter Bunny their eggs (they'd been playing with them for a few days already) and ask him the hide them outside. But the kids couldn't come with me, and they probably wouldn't see the Easter Bunny because he is afraid of children. He's actually quite an Angsthase, if you know what I mean. Hopefully somebody out there does.





 This last photo is of the kids devouring their goodies from inside the eggs. We're slowly weaning everyone off sugar before we start a sugar fast, so instead of candy in their eggs, I put nuts and dried fruit. I don't think the kids cared that they weren't getting chocolate. They ate their snacks so fast, you would have thought it WAS chocolate.

We decided to do all the Easter Bunny Easter stuff before Easter, and let the religious part of Easter have that day to itself. We've definitely talked multiple times about why we really have Easter, and the children know what the holiday is all about. They do amaze me with their understanding sometimes.  I think it is cute how Abigail puts things into her own words. After tomorrow I will post about our actually Easter Day activities. I am kind of excited. It feels like Christmas Eve tonight. And it should. At least it should be exciting and eventful and joyful. Because without Easter, Christmas doesn't really mean much does it

2 comments:

  1. Russ and I have talked a lot about when to do the Easter Bunny (our kids still don't really know much about it... more due to our laziness than our not wanting them to know...) We've decided that we are going to have the Easter bunny associated with the Spring equinox (either Mar 20 or 21) each year - so the Easter bunny is associated completely with Spring. Easter is actually not a religious term - what we celebrate would be more accurately referred to as a Christian Passover, but that's a discussion for another day. Anyway, looks like you guys had a fun time with the bunnies and eggs :)

    We are going to take a field trip to the West Jordan Convervation gardens in May as part of our garden/flowers/plants. We are also going to go to the festival of Tulips at Thanksgiving Point (it's kind of expensive, but I just entered in a blog giveaway for 4 tickets, so if I win them, then I'll give you the other two and we can go together!)

    Let's get together soon. Sorry I've been so lazy... I will call you and we will play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua actually knows the Easter Bunny is a fake. But he decided to pretend he is real. I was more worried about Santa and Christmas. I think since Easter isn't as big as Christmas, I feel like I can control it more. Every time we talked about Easter we talked about WHY we even celebrate Easter. And I made mention of the "new life" with the eggs and the flowers and stuff like that.

    Christmas, I think, is much harder. I almost did not Santa at all. Soon here i'll post my Easter post. We were much more religious - which wont show well in the blog, but oh well.

    I'd LOVE to go to Thanksgiving point with you, or just get together. Maybe I'll look up the conservation gardens. I didn't know we had any anywhere near here.

    ReplyDelete