Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boats - Hello and Goodbye

I had too many things going on so instead of doing cars AND boats, we just did boats. And we didn't even do a whole lot of fun things with boats. We also covered the letter F. With the addition of Lukas in our family, my efforts at pre-school have very much diminished.  When I started a little over a year ago I used to check out books at the library and look up all the words I didn't know and translate them into German so I could read ALL of our library books to the kids in German. Granted, we don't have that many difficult books to read, but I haven't done that in over 6 months. We haven't gone on any "field trips." (I wanted to go to the SF airport during our airplane week.) And I don't feel like we are very organized. I'm sort of hoping to change this. But at the same time, I am figuring something out. I don't really want to homeschool my children. Well, actually I DO want to homeschool them, but I think I don't want it enough. Or I just need time to get back into things. I want to be really into it. I want to know all the words in German, have set schedules for activities, and field trips, and songs and rhymes, and themed snacks, and other fun things like that. But it's all a little overwhelming right now. Everything is a little overwhelming right now, and by that I mean that all those very little slightly stressful things are adding up into "what am I even trying to accomplish with anything I am even doing right now?" which follows with "why do I have so much to do and hardly any time to do it because there is always more to do?" and then "am I really even doing the most important things for my children?"

I think this is either called, "wake up! you have three children, this is how it goes," or "wake up! you have three children ages 3, 2, and 8 weeks, this is how it goes." Not that I regret my children. I would do it all again. I just have to find my groove again I think. And I'll be disappointed if my new groove is not as good as my old groove.

However, not homeschooling wouldn't be so bad if the Provo school district really DOES add a German immersion program into their curriculum. They don't have the funding for it this year, but they want to add it for the 2012-2013 school year. I'd be willing to drive to Provo if my kids would be able to do such a program. Hey, I would be willing to MOVE to Provo if that's what it took. I'm offering my services to the Provo School District in case they need somebody to do something to get this program going. It is a super exciting prospect and I am hoping and I admit, praying, that it comes about. It sounds totally dumb but right now that sounds like the most awesome thing in the world.

Anyway - boats and F. We did play a game called "Find the Frog" but I didn't take pictures. I'm adding a lot of photos to make it seem like we did a lot more than we actually did. :)






Fish starts with F so we wrote "F"s on all the little fish. I wrote about half of them - Joshua liked the little f so those squiggles that kind of look like "f" are his attempt - a very half hearted attempt - but at least he humored me. (we made these boats the same why we made the trains from the last "unit")
We made a few lobster boats.
We did not make any boats to take out sailing - but things have been so busy I am still just trying to keep myself afloat. We will do it later, I promise. It is way too much fun.

2 comments:

  1. I totally know waht you mean about trying to get your groove back! I am having a hard time keeping up with homeschool now that we have added a new baby to the family. But I am starting up again slowly and working my way back. Finding my new normal is a lot tougher then I thought it was going to be.

    But I hope you realize that even on your worst day you are doing awesome!! I am so proud of all you are acomplishing! You are such a great mom! I know it's easy to doubt ourselves and so hard to give credit where credit is do. But that is what friends are for right?!

    I love homeschooling my girls and we totally plan on continuing with it becuae it works for OUR family. If you feel that sending your kids to school is what works for your family that that is great! That is one of the great gifts we have as parents is the ability to do what is best for our kids needs. I hope whatever you do, you are excited about and your kids love it too. Never forget how amazing you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous job!!! I can understand trying to find your new groove. And, I think for having an 8 week old you are doing an amazing job!!! I hope after I have an 8 week old that I am able to do what I've seen you do!:) Way to go!!!:) I also loved all the different boats you did! Someday I hope to do something similar with my girls!:)
    Loved the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete