Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vacation

I've decided we are on summer break. No "formal" school. This just means I am tired and I don't want to plan anything for awhile. I did have great plans, but I think I'll just scrap them all and ask Joshua and Abigail what they want to learn, and when we start back up again in August or September we'll just learn whatever they want... and I'll probably stick a few other things in there too.

Anyway. Here is our vacation in a nutshell - probably a coconut shell. It was a long and adventurous vacation.

It started out at 5:30 am on July 2nd with a rented minivan stuffed to the max.

About 14 1/2 hours later, we were still 30 minutes away from our destination.

Here was our destination. Sun Lakes State Park in Washington - the Walker-Berwick Family Reunion 2011.

We just set up camp and went to bed. We were kind of tired. But at 2:00 am ish a HUGE windstorm started. It was blowing over other people's tents. So Derek went outside in the wind to stake ours down some more. It was crazy... and LOUD... and the kids slept through it all.

Day two. The next day we went to church. And then we went on a hike to the Lake Lenore Caves. Abigail and Derek took much needed naps back at the tent while Joshua, Lukas, and I braved the rocky trail. 






Then we had hot dogs and smores at the campfire.






Day three. In the tent and breakfast.



Games.






We ran through the sprinklers and then went swimming in the lake- no photos.
We drove up to the Grand Coulee Dam for a laser light show and some 4th of July Fireworks. No GOOD photos.

Day four. We stopped at Dry Falls on our way out of the area. This used to be a waterfall 4 times larger than Niagara. But alas, like most things in this part of Washington, it is now all dried up. (I know, that is not fair to say, but you gotta admit, it is pretty dry there.)


We took the North Cascade Highway to get to Lopez Island. I so wish I had photos. Imagine breathtaking snowy peaks glimmering in the sunshine and lush green trees all around you with waterfalls and huge rocky cliffs. Then imagine driving almost to the top of those mountains. It was so amazing. (these first two photos are from after the amazing scenery. I know, It was unbelievable!) We also stopped by Winthrop, a little Old Western Town.








We made the last ferry leaving Anacortes to get to Lopez Island.







Day five. Canoeing (sp?)



And a stroll into Lopez Village - with a detour onto the beach.


Later that day Joshua, Derek, Grandpa Bob, and I took his motor boat out for a test drive. We planned on taking a longer trip the next day, but we were too busy and didn't get around to it. Just another reason we'll have to come back again.

Day six. Hiking to Whatmough Bay.






Joshua went biking with Grandpa Bob and later Abigail had a "box ride" while I took a nap.

And in the evening Derek and I had a "date" to Agate Beach. The wind - what's with the wind on this trip? - was so strong. It was almost blowing us over. That made our date less romantic and a little more adventurous - or just windy.



Day seven. Derek, Bob, and I went Kayaking. While in the kayaks we saw a baby otter, a deer (ok, we had seen lots of deer on this trip) and a bald eagle that was circling some trees and then landed majestically, as only a bald eagle can, right on the top of one, just right near us. It was awesome.  Not to mention we had seen tons of hawks and what seemed like a bazillion turkey vultures. "Turkey Vulture" has got to be the worst name for a bird ever. Yes, their faces are somewhat ugly, but these are huge beautiful birds, and they were just circling by the house... as if they knew something... hmmm...



We celebrated Joshua's 4th birthday - which wasn't until the next day.



And then Joshua, Grandpa Bob, and I went to Agate Beach just to play around. This is what I wish my preschool was always like. Hands on out in nature just exploring and experiencing. No rush, no agenda, just looking, and feeling, and smelling, and enjoying. Or maybe I just want to move to the San Juans. That could also be true.





Day eight.  Said goodbye and loaded back up on the ferry.



Then we drove to southern Germany.  Oh wait, I mean Leavenworth, Washington, and enjoyed an ice cream.







And we finished that day up in Pendleton, Oregon at a little motel called the Rugged Country Lodge. We were all so tired (and fed up with screaming!!!!) that I made everyone go to bed at 6:00 pm.  We slept until 6:30 the next morning.

Day nine. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast at the motel and then continued our trek - only 10 more driving hours to go!! Although we were too sick with colds to attend a sacrament meeting, we did manage to make it to the Boise Temple for a rest stop. It was so peaceful. The contrast of the screaming and crying (ok, it wasn't that bad... the entire time) of the long car ride with the peace and serenity of the temple was remarkable. And very welcome.



The last adventure.  As if I didn't dislike the I-84 stretch between Burley, ID and Tremonton, UT already. oh boy.  Somewhat far off in the distance I could see huge, HUGE, dark rain clouds, which I could tell we weren't going to be able to avoid. As we got closer it got darker and darker and then the rain started, and then the lightning started. At first I thought we were going to die by being hit by lightning,seeing as it was hitting the median between the interstate, but then, even after I could barely see out of the car already, the rain got HARDER, and I really couldn't see anything, with the exception of my life flashing before my eyes and our imminent doom! Try going 65 MPH (yes, I had already slowed down quite a bit) with cars in front and cars in back of you and not being able to see a single thing, knowing none of the other cars can either! I honestly thought we were all going to die.

But we didn't. We only had one more near death experience before we got home, and we obviously survived that one too, so all in all, I think things went pretty well.

Now we all have colds, require 10 hours of sleep at night (and probably a few during the day too) and are looking forward to a vacation from our vacation. IT WAS SO FUN!

3 comments:

  1. Needing a vacation from your vacation is definitely a sign that you had a good exhausting time. I'm glad you all enjoyed yourselves. Happy Birthday to Joshua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip! I'm glad you're home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Sounds like a crazy/fun/exhausting/memorable trip :) I love road trips. I want to do a huge one like this next year in the spring or fall out East - visiting everything in between (it will probably be more of a month long trip, but I really want to! We'll visit the Coynes (both sets) and a bunch of military buddies that are at Ft. Bragg). Anyway, in the meantime, we will plan a trip to Spanish Fork/Springville to see you guys. :) But only when you're satisfactorily recovered from your colds :(

    ReplyDelete