Monday, August 25, 2014

August

Last month of summer. I'm almost done. This wasn't that painful at all.

I took the kids to the Museum of Natural Curiosity again, this time all the kids. I think this was the first time I really realized that Kaleb is a toddler and not a baby anymore. He was right in his element.







Derek and I celebrated our 8th anniversary. We went to the Provo temple, where we were married and sealed, then to Home Depot, oh joy, next to Kneaders where we actually sat down in the restaurant to eat! I know, none of this take out stuff for my anniversary. I put my foot down. And then we had rented  the second Hobbit movie, the desolation of Smaug, so we watched that as well. Eight years. At one point that was supposed to sound like a long time!

I think it was just the next week that I went with the kids back up to Thanksgiving point, but this time to Farm Country. Lukas was terrified and would NOT ride a pony, but he told me that if I stand by him the entire time, he will try again next time, and he is really excited. The baby goats were my favorite part.








Earlier in the Spring when we started our seedlings I had planted a bunch of jalapeño plants. But most to the seeds didn't sprout, so I planted more. But those seeds didn't sprout either. Eventually I ended up buying starts to plant in the garden… and then my seeds sprouted. I kept some of them and put three little guys whose roots I couldn't untangle in one of the start pots and stuck it on the kitchen windowsill.  in August they started to bloom! (I actually did have two jalapeños growing pretty big when I noticed the entire plant was infected with some sort of gross larvae so I just through the whole pot into the garbage. (I've already got 4 huge jalapeño and 4 huge serrano plants in my garden producing so I didn't feel bad about dumping the little scrawny guys, except their blooms are so cute!)

Second canning project: pears and plum jam. plus I think the very end of the apricots is shown here.

After only 3 weeks of health, then two more fevers and two more ear infections, the ENT agreed that Kaleb needed tubes in his ears! Yea! He was a trooper. Here he is with his "baby" - the little blue orangutan, and his stickers, and his hospital clothes on all ready for surgery.

Third canning project: pickles. Bread and Butter pickles and pickled jalapeños and serranos.

I can't remember what this is supposed to be a photo of but those two big brown paper bags in the back were full of elderberries, which apparently are super gross, but you can make pancake syrup out of them. I could only find a natural cold and flu prevention syrup recipe online, so I made them. It's gross.

And the end of our summer: First day of school photos! Abby in kindergarten and Joshua in 2nd grade!


No comments:

Post a Comment