Sunday, January 26, 2014

Left overs that need to get on the blog

Here are a couple of things I've meant to put in other posts, or they just didn't fit in any other post so they get dumped here.

This is the children's favorite book about the gods and goddesses of ancient Greece. The pictures are very child friends, as is the retelling of the stories. They like this book so much, I think they would be happy to get it for their birthdays or Christmas or something, so I highly recommend it.
sorry it's on its side like that.

This a is an interesting book about Alexander the Great, whom we learned a little about last week. We also read two or three other books about him. One was comic book style, which Abby didn't like. One was from the series, "you wouldn't want to be..." and in this case, a soldier in Alexander the Great's army. And I can't remember the third one, if indeed their actually was a third one. In any case, this book, although I doubt some of the historical accuracy of it, has beautiful pictures and I think it was the kid's favorite.

I've mentioned that each day Joshua has a spelling assignment. Well, he is an awful speller. I know the kids in the public school do spelling tests each week in 1st grade, but I don't know if I could put myself through that, so instead, when Joshua and I notice he is struggle with a certain word, as in he consistently spells in incorrectly, we put it up on the wall, like this. And in the case of words like should, could, would, because "would" was actually the hard word, I just put up the "word family" so he could see all these words are spelled similarly. I think in the future, like maybe over the summer, we will do spelling tests with words grouped alike, such as for one or two weeks, focus on past tense words with the -ed ending, since that is sometimes hard. You know, he forgets the e or puts on a t instead. Stuff like that.

Abigail has developed an interest in drawing fairies. The green one is named Rasely (pronounced Rozzelee) and it is her birthday today. I didn't catch the names or backgrounds of the other fairies pictured. :)

And this is a drawing Joshua made a week or two ago when he was practicing drawing the gods and goddesses and black attic pottery. It is especially fun when the kids use their free time to continue learning about/showing interest in what they are learning about in "school."

No comments:

Post a Comment