Sunday, January 26, 2014

Grandpa Arnold

My last living grandparent passed away on December 27th, 2013. This was my Grandpa Arnold, my dad's dad, who lived in Cupertino, California. My Aunt Duane put on a memorial for his this weekend in Saratoga, where he lived while he was raising his children, and my entire family on that side (a grand total of 6 of us if you include my mom and step-dad who aren't technically related) flew in from around the country to be there. It was the most wonderful memorial/funeral I have ever been too. Partly because it was for my grandpa, but partly because my aunt is so capable and wonderful and she did a perfect job.

She patterned it after an Irish Wake. Family and friends gathered together and visited, got to know each other, and shared stories of grandpa with each other. Then she welcomed everyone and we sat down and enjoyed a wonderful catered lunch. Afterwards she said a few words about her father and his life. Then she had a slide show presentation put together of photos from his boyhood through his entire life. It was about 15 minutes long and set to music, and that coupled with her biographical sketch was a wonderful tribute to his life. Then those who wished to share a story or memory of grandpa could have a microphone passed to them and share just for a minute or two. Then it was over. It was wonderful, although I cried and at an Irish Wake it is supposed to be more a party than a funeral, but I couldn't help it because my relationship with my Grandpa was a huge part of my life and furthermore, it's ok to mourn the death of a loved one. But at least I did cry and blubber my way through the entire thing like I did with my grandmother 4 years ago. THAT was embarrassing. Anyway, here are some photos. (And did I mentioned it was about 75 degrees outside and SUNNY! It was hard to leave!)











The next is a photo of my sisters and my aunt, from left to right, Gwen, Aunt Duane, myself, Claire, and Catherine.




And then we went to Japan.






Actually it was the Hanoke Japanese Gardens, but still, it was kind of like being transported someone else entirely because one moment we were at a memorial, the next we were in historic downtown Saratoga (cute as could be, you should go if you ever get the chance) and the next moment we were in a beautiful Japanese garden with huge bamboo and a ponds and a fountain and waterfall, koi, tea plants, actual flowers blooming in the middle of January (!). Although it would probably have been more beautiful in the early summer - and if I wasn't still wearing my heels from the memorial - it was peaceful and a very interesting place to be.

This is a photo of my grandfather with all of his living descendents. It was taken last 4th of July in Santa Cruz, California.




P.S. And I've decided that when I die I am not having a funeral, but an Irish Wake and a graveside service. But to alleviate the stress of those preparing the wake, you will be required to RSVP. And you are all invited. You can tell stories about how I was too wordy in my blog but you loved me anyway, stuff like that.

1 comment:

  1. the photo of your grandad with the descendants is priceless! i love photos like that! the wake sounds beautiful! a great way to honour him!

    ReplyDelete