Monday, April 2, 2012

Lesentag Freitags

For awhile I was getting concerned that the kids weren't getting enough reading time... not reading for learning - as in science, etc, but reading for just the story's sake and enjoying. Also, I'm getting a little tired. So since Fridays we go to the library anyway, I've instigated a new program called Lesentag Freitag. Friday is our reading day and all we do is read as many stories as we can, all day long. We've created our reading logs and every time we read a story on Friday, we write it down in our logs. (We also discuss the story a little bit, like what was the problem, how did they solve it, how do you think so-and-so felt when..., stuff like that to encourage thinking and discussion. So I guess it's not just totally for entertainment's sake.)  We don't do any other pre-school activities that day. I'm decided whether or not to still do the calendar and Tagebuch, but for now we just read stories. Then of course, go to the library later for Story Time and to use the computers (when all the little kids are at the first Story Time session, the two best computers are usually free so we plan our library time then. We're kind of sneaky :)


In the future, we will go other places and read other places. I think it would be fun to go to a park and bring a book, or just wherever we go, bring books in the car and in our bag so we always have something to read.

Here are the books we are reading right now (I met up with one of my German professors from BYU and she gave me tons of her books her kids had grown out of. I am so grateful to her. I have so many great stories to choose from now. It's really exciting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment